Wednesday 10 November 2010

APTO approved for breeding

Today ANCCE APTO approved 'Shadowfax' for breeding. As you might know the APTO test is a very basic examination made by a veterinarian delegate from ANCCE, however all angles are measured, height and immidiate defects are pointed out. 'Fax' had good angles, no defects, and was measured 168 cm tall. So in reality he is now approved for breeding. There lies great responsability for the breeder in the selection of a breeding stallion, not only for ones own offspring but also for the future of the race. I have my criterias very clear of what is a good breeding stallion and a good representative of the race. I am also clear with which ones should not be used for breeding, and if I am not I make sure to take objective professional advice. In my opinion a APTO approved stallion aswell as a Qualifed Reproductor need to show themselves to be funcitonal ridden horses. In my opinion they should have merit from dressage competitions or be able to show a good level of correct training. A APTO approved stallion should, again in my opinion, also have a merit from a A or B (from where official qualification is given) PRE championship. It isn't good enough with any merit from any dressage competition or any PRE Championship for that matter, no, we have to make a serious effort for this race to be seriously recognized.
Today Start had a long walk grazing and then a 'spa' lazer treatment from my mother that he enjoyed alot. I rode two and that was today's day in the stable, a good day.
Kerstin grazing Start

1 comment: