Wednesday 4 November 2009

HIERRO and PHILOSOPHY




Our brand; the V stands for VIKINGA and the crown is a symbol for a queen and for Sweden. We named our first born and bred buckskin PRE filly REINA VIKINGA (viking-queen) and the brand is really symbol of her. Indirect VIKINGA refers to me as this a spanish nickname of mine. I guess Spaniards see me like a swedish 'conquistadora', invading horse-Spain with my strong character having lots of equestrian opinions. Quite right to I think, I respect their opinions and they respect mine. Many times we agree, others' we don't but that is ok for me. You take what suits you from the different ways/cultures, mix it with what you have and make it your own. Like this I think we develop a healthy personal way of being/expressing ourselves and this can only be wholesome. Some time ago I was asked to give a course in 'my way' to handle horses, and the participants was going to be people with different horse experience and a herd of wild Asturcons, a pony like hard-headed race in north of Spain. The course was for two days and we studied the natural ways of the horses and learned the basics of handle a horse from the beginning. I taught my way of interacting/handling and people practiced this. The course was warmly appreciated however I came to the conclusion that my teaching philosophy (I am a trained Waldorf/ Steiner teacher) is; My way works for me. I, as a teacher, want to help students to find their tools to be able to develop their ways. So I structured the next course with this in mind and I found this was definitely 'my way'. I don't believe in a teaching that try to impose their teachings, values and conclusions, it takes away freedom from the individuals to develop belief in their own capacities and creativity. Conclusion; The 'conquistadores' certainly won't be able to conquer me because I am a 'Vikinga'!

No comments:

Post a Comment